Never Hurt an Innocent makes sure not to hurt those around him, and is not willing to kill and destroy innocent lives just to get ahead. Offer them infinite power if they'd just kill a single innocent, and expect them to say no; of course, that doesn't mean they won't accept the infinite power if they could get around the whole "killing the innocent" part.
Generally, this is shown as they are trying to avoid harming people who aren't involved, and making sure not to kill innocent people. Unfortunately for our heroes, they don't count, so they can expect every weapon at these villains' disposal to be aimed at them.
Some subtropes denote specific groups or classes of persons as off-limits:
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child — kids, because Children Are Innocent.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl — women. Expect this villain/antihero to be a Chivalrous Basher-Basher as well.
- Would Not Shoot a Civilian — non-combatants.
- Kick Them While They Are Down — the injured or incapacitated.
- Would Not Shoot a Good Guy — those whose opposition is honest but misinformed.